Applications: Elemental analysis using points, line profiles or maps at atomic scale resolution
The GIF Quantum® series represents Gatan’s 4th and most advanced generation of post-column energy filters. Redesigned from the ground up, the GIF Quantum® combines advanced dodecapole-based electron optics with a blazing fast CCD camera system to yield an imaging filter that defines the new state-of-the-art in the capture of both highly detailed EELS and EFTEM data sets with maximum throughput.
Advanced options such as a 1 µs electrostatic shutter, a 10x faster camera, a 2 keV fast spectrum offset module, and DualEELS™ hardware and software, allow each Quantum model to be tailored to the applications at hand.
|GIF Quantum® Series||Improvement over GIF Tridiem®|
|60 kV minimum operating voltage||20 kV lower|
|0.75% maximum image distortion||2x lower|
|2 keV fast spectrum offset||2x larger|
|2 keV spectroscopy field of view||2x larger|
|30 fps (512 x 512) preview||6x faster|
|5 mm aperture for routine EELS||6¼x higher collection efficiency|
|2.5 mm aperture for high resolution EELS||6¼x higher collection efficiency|
|1,000 spectra per second||30x faster|
|1 µs electrostatic shutter||50,000x faster|
Key features and specifications
- Large, 9 mm aperture for EFTEM imaging and mapping: 36 µm, diagonal
- Large, 9 mm aperture for energy-filtered diffraction: 150 mRad, full azimuth
- Large, 5 mm spectroscopy aperture for EELS: 6¼x larger than the GIF Tridiem®
- Large energy range EELS: 2048 eV field-of-view in a single spectrum
- Automated exposure control over 8 orders of magnitude (100 s down to 1 µs) allowing the acquisition of images, maps and spectra with unparalleled dynamic range and ease of use.
- 1 MHz 4-port readout for high-quality, full-frame imaging:
16-bit 2048×2048 at 1.25 sec/frame.
- Dual-speed readout for fast, full frame image acquisition:
512×512 at 30 frames/sec (US patent 5946033).
- Cinema mode readout for high-duty cycle, real-time viewing:
512×256 > 45 frames/sec (US patent 7157720).
- Pipeline spectrum readout for STEM spectrum imaging:
1000 spectra/sec at 1×128 binning (US patent 7157720).
- HCR™ fiber optic stack allowing high MTF/high DQE imaging and spectroscopy.
- Integrated and computer controlled STEM detector matched to the 5mm spectroscopy aperture for efficient STEM-EELS spectrum imaging.
- Magnetic prism optimized for 60 – 300 kV operation.
- Dodecapole-based electron optics allows aberration correction up to 5th order in both imaging and spectroscopy modes of operation.
- Excellent isochromaticity over the entire EFTEM field-of-view: max variation no more than ±1 eV at 200 kV.
- 0.75% maximum image distortion.
- 49 hole prism alignment mask enabling extensions to Gatan’s auto tuning software
(US patent 5798524 & 6184524).