Removing the Lid from a Device/Package
Using wet chemistry, a laser beam or diamond mill for precavitation the die and/or components are exposed (de-capped) to allow inspection. Applications of decapsulation (decap) include preparation for latch-up failure testing, visual inspection of die, bond wire checks, sample re-work, component verification, good versus bad check using various analytical tools (SEM, EDS, FIB-SEM, XPS). More applications are available upon request.
Global uses of decapulation include quality control, problem solving, failure analysis, design debug, production control, materials development, and reverse engineering.
Strengths and Advantages of decapsulation include:
- Expose die keeping device electrically intact
- Expose whole die or just sections
- Apply to devices with copper or gold wires
- Clean die for inspection or removal
- Precavitation allows thick encapsulant to be safely decapped