Applications of Circuit-Edit FIB:
- Using ACE FIB, cut into a live device, break or build connections
- Modify existing live device to correct for design errors
Extensible for advanced Circuit Edit needs at small technology nodes, the V400 ACE™ FIB delivers circuit modification, cross-sectioning and failure analysis capabilities to greatly shorten the product introduction cycle of today’s integrated circuits (ICs).
The V400 ACE™ Focused Ion Beam (FIB) system incorporates the latest developments in ion column design, gas delivery and end point detection to provide fast, efficient, cost-effective editing on advanced integrated circuits.
Circuit editing allows product designers to reroute conductive pathways and test the modified circuits in hours, rather than the weeks or months that would be required to generate new masks and process new wafers.
Fewer, shorter modification and test cycles allow manufacturers to ramp new processes to profitable high volume yields faster, and be first to market with premium priced new products.
The V600 CE is specifically designed to meet the challenges of advanced designs and processes: smaller geometries, higher circuit densities, exotic materials and complex interconnect structures.
FEI’s Tomahawk™ Ion Column delivers unrivaled capability and flexibility with seamless operation from 30 kV to 2 kV. High current density milling at 30 kV ensures rapid material removal and increased throughput, while low kV operation is useful for selective etching of copper.
FIB circuit editing tools use controlled amounts of specific gases, injected near the beam at the sample surface, to enhance the speed and selectivity of the milling process, and to deposit conductive and insulating materials in precisely controlled patterns. The V400 ACE’s innovative NanoChemix™ gas delivery system increases editing flexibility with variable pressure control and a wide variety of solid, liquid or gas precursor materials.
The V400 ACE’s simultaneous, auto scaled plots of secondary electron and specimen current signals ensure reliable, accurate end point detection when the milling procedure reaches the target structure.
- Fast, precise circuit modifications allow design changes in hours without processing new silicon
- NanoChemix gas delivery system provides improved speed, flexibility, uniformity, and quality in material removal and deposition
- Tomahawk ion column delivers more current to a smaller spot for faster, more precise milling
- Simultaneous plots of SE and specimen current improve end point detection
- Fast, accurate cross sectioning reveals defects and subsurface features
- Best-in-class thin sample preparation and 3D characterization and analysis